Make Money While Translating and Interpreting Languages Online
There are lots of jobs you can do from home and online language jobs are among the top work from home jobs you can do part-time or full-time, depending on your language skills and schedule.
If you have the ability to speak more than one language, you can find flexible online translation and interpretation jobs to earn some extra cash on the side in your spare time.
Online Language Jobs: How to Work as a Translator Online?
Translation jobs are perfect for you if you are able to read, write and fluently speak more than one language. If you are fluent in one of the most in-demand languages like Spanish, Chinese, French, Japanese, etc, you can find lots of translation and interpretation jobs online via a number of freelance sites and online translation agencies.
If you are hired to translate documents and recordings for clients, you may be given a flexible schedule which means you can work in the middle of the night if that suits your schedule. However, you are usually given a deadline to submit the work. Translation jobs are usually sent via email, fax or a face-to-face meeting online.
What Type of Work Will I Do?
Usually, translation jobs involve translating written content. Many companies or individuals often need to communicate with their clients using a different language. A translator will be hired to translate their messages accurately in a language that their clients understand.
If you become proficient in a specific area, you will be able to land more jobs and earn more money. Some of the specialities in the field of translation include:
- Medical documents translation
- Legal documents translation
- Translating technical documents
- eBooks translation
How To Work as an Interpreter Online?
If you want to work as an interpreter, you will have to listen to a speaker who speaks a different language, analyze the speaker’s message and convey its meaning accurately to your client. So, your job will involve listening to a speaker on a telephone call who speaks another language to your client and then you translate and interpret the message to the client.
You will need to be fluent orally in both languages spoken by the speaker and your client both of whom are using you as an interpreter. You will be working from a virtual office as an online interpreter. If you are participating in live conversations or want to join conference calls, you can use Skype. Live online interpretation jobs will require you to join live conversations and may also require you to translate documents and recordings.
Skills and Tools Required for Translation and Interpretation Jobs
- You should have excellent writing skills and a strong command of the English language and one or more foreign language if you want to work as a freelance or employee translator from home.
- You must be orally fluent in both languages you speak and you also need to have good listening skills if you want to work and become a successful interpreter.
- You will need a quiet home environment to work as an interpreter. You will also need a dedicated phone line. You may have to pay for your own phone service but some interpretation companies may pay for the phone line if you work for them as an employee.
How Much Can I Earn?
If you hold a degree in linguistics, your potential clients may be more inclined to work with you. You can expect to earn $12 to $30 per hour as an interpreter, depending on the demand of the languages you speak, your experience and qualifications. Average pay for general online translating jobs is about $12 per hour. If you specialize in translating technical or scientific content, you can earn much more per hour.
Where to Find Translation and Interpretation Jobs
Some companies will hire translators and interpreters as an employee or independent contractor. Here is a list of the top companies you can check out:
- ABC Translation Services
- Avant Page
- Affordable Translations
- AccuRapid Translation
- Butler Hill Group
- African Translation
- Creative English Solutions
- Dialog One
- Global Link Translations
- Eriksen Translation
- Executive Linguist Agency
- Language Line Services
- Lion Bridge
- Pacific Interpreters
- SDL International
- Trusted Translations
Online language jobs, such as translation and interpretation jobs are in high demand today. If you fluently speak multiple languages and have excellent communication skills, then online language jobs can be a great work at home option for you. You can make a good income working from home providing translation and interpretation services to clients around the world.
Latest posts by Lashay (see all)
- ABC Financial is Hiring Home-Based Virtual Agents – Apply Today! - June 24, 2019
- Cambridge Proofreading Services: A Place To Find Online Proofreading and Editing Jobs - June 18, 2019
- Best 10 Ways to Earn Money Playing Games Online - June 10, 2019