How To Make Money with Your Freelance Web Design Skills
Make Money from Your Freelance Web Design Skills
Freelance web designers are in huge demand as companies and people around the world hire them to create new websites or redesign their existing websites. If you have relevant experience, you may be able to make a comfortable living providing web design services to clients across the world running your own freelance web design business. If you do not have a degree in web design but have basic design skills you can still find lots of web design jobs to earn a part-time income or even a living.
What Does a Web Designer Do?
There are a variety of web design tasks you can take on depending on the clients’ needs. Web designers are responsible for creating nice looking and professional websites for their clients. As a web designer, you can design or redesign a single page or a whole site from scratch. Most professional web designers have additional skills such as web development, graphic design, SEO, copywriting, etc. However, there are lots of web design jobs available online that you can apply for and land the jobs to make money even with basic web design knowledge.
Skills Required for a Web Designer
Freelance web designers should have a variety of skill sets that include:
- Coding skills in HTML, PHP, etc.
- Graphic design
- Website development
- Website usability
- Photoshop skills
How to Promote Your Web Design Skills
- Create your own website that highlights your skills in the web design field
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your web design skills
- Choose a target market such as small business owners or professionals in certain industries and design sites for them
- Ask your clients if they could put a link to your website
- Network with other web designers, web developers, writers and SEO specialists
- Join a few reputable Internet marketing forums or message boards and offer your expert advice to people who need help with web design
- Work with local businesses and individuals to promote your services
The best way to promote your web design skills is by setting up your own website or blog where you can showcase your web design skills. If your site or blog looks professional and beautiful, people may want to work with you to build their websites or redesign their existing websites.
How to Get Started
First, get started by building your portfolio and reputation. It is best to apply for freelance web design jobs on bidding sites like Elance and Upwork. Once you have completed some paid jobs, you can apply for larger projects and higher paying gigs. In addition, create a website with great design and usability features so that your potential clients can see your work and contact you if they are interested in your services. Make sure to include some great samples of your work on it.
Where to Find Web Design Jobs
If you want to work as a freelance web designer, there are a variety of websites that list web design jobs online, including: