Cutting expenses is one of the best and easiest ways to stretch your dollar and eliminate extra spending. Like most people, when I started considering cutting my expenses, I had no idea which expenses to cut and how to make ends meet by spending less.
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to cut your expenses without making huge sacrifices. Cutting expenses helps you keep more money in your pocket.
The EASIEST Ways To Earn Extra Cash Online...
- Branded Surveys - Get paid instantly by answering simple questions. Join now!
- Survey Junkie - Earn $20 fast for taking surveys & testing new products. Join now!
- PaidViewpoint - Take quick easy surveys! I've personally earned over $6,559 THIS YEAR! Pays fast via Paypal. Join Today!
- National Consumer Panel - Get paid to test free products! Join Now.
Here are some of my best strategies for cutting three of the most common expenses if spend less and earn more is your mantra for this year.
Americans spend quite a bit of money on groceries each month. The average cost per person per month is $150-$300. Grocery spending is often one of those overlooked expenses because eating food is a necessity. However, that doesn’t mean you need to spend $1,000/month on groceries for your family of 4.
Cutting your grocery bill all boils down to three things: meal planning, shopping sales, and meal prep.
- Plan: First, try to avoid going shopping if you don’t have a detailed and well-thought out list to guide you. Just going to the store and randomly picking up things is not a good idea.
- Look: Next, make sure you scan circulars first to see if there are any sales on food items your family likes. You may find a good deal on fruit, organic vegetables or chicken for example.
- Prep: Last, plan out your meals for each day and commit to prepping and preparing them at home as often as you can. Many times we run to a fast food restaurant because we are too tired to cook. If you take one day out of each week to plan and prep your meals, you can save more by eating at home.
You can also prepare some meals in a slow cooker to stretch your budget as there are plenty of soups, stews, and yummy dishes you can prepare in batches with a cheap price per portion and so your family has leftovers. Finally, avoid processed and ready-made foods at the grocery store as they are often unhealthy and expensive. The key is to cook your own food as often as possible.
Stay at home mom? Best 6 Online Jobs for Stay at Home Moms: Make Money from Your Couch!
Everyone likes to have fun, but it can come at quite the cost. If you’re spending hundreds of dollars per month on expenses and entertaining yourself and your family, there are many ways to adopt more frugal methods of entertainment.
- Cable: For starters, get rid of your cable bill if you still have one. There are so many quality online streaming services that you can use like Netflix, Hulu, Sling, and Amazon Prime. As long as you have Wi-Fi, you can sign up for one of these services and save some cash.
- Events: Next, try to search for free and cheap events in your area. Check with your local library or at a community center like the YMCA. If you like museums, many of them have free admission days for city or state residents. You can also check out national parks for free on certain days of the year.
- Hobbies: If you have an expensive hobby or interest, try to find a way to make it more affordable. For example, if you like to see live performances, try checking out a local performance conducted by a school or community center. It may not be Broadway, but you’ll most likely still be entertained.
When you are living paycheck to paycheck, it is hard to find extra expenses to eliminate. It’s not fun paying for insurance every month but when something happens, it’s a relief to have insurance to fall back on. Some types of insurances are required by law so there’s really no way around them, but you can still reduce your monthly premium. To save on your insurance, the key is to shop around.
Whether you are looking to reduce auto, renter’s/homeowner’s or medical insurance, most companies want your business and will offer you a deal if that means you won’t go to their competitor. Compare rates online for insurance and simply ask your provider for a discount. Some companies may even have programs you can take advantage of. For example, my auto insurance company offers discounts to safe drivers.
You can also bundle policies in order to save. Your auto insurance company may also offer renter’s insurance with a discount if you sign up for both.
Comparison Shop and Get Creative
As you can see, whether you’re trying to cut a fixed or variable expense, the key to cutting some of your sneakiest expenses will be to comparison shop and be open to creative solutions. You can track your expenses with free budgeting tools like Mint and Every Dollar, then develop a strategy like the ones shown above to start trimming the fat from your budget. You can do this!
How are you planning to cut some of your expenses in the upcoming months? Leave a comment below.
You May Also Like:
- 10 Real Ways to Make Money Fast Before Your Next Payday
- 8 Legit Ways To Make Money Online and Get Paid Fast
- 7 Ways To Make Money Fast from These Smartphone Apps (Totally Free!)